Pale comb- light Sussex bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bethany86, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Bethany86

Bethany86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this (forum and chicken keeping) so forgive me if I'm uninformed [​IMG]

I purchased 3 girls on the weekend- a austrolorp, columbian Wyandotte and a light Sussex (all bantams). Since being home with them I've noticed my light Sussex, Daisy, has a pale pink comb. After googling this I found it could be a sign of illness. Now I'm extremely concerned for her well being! She is eating normally, is still mostly lively but she does seen to 'rest' more than the others. Please help! I'm already so fond of her I would hate for her to be uncomfortable!

The seller advertised them as being wormed and vaccinated. She is around 40 weeks old.

Bethany

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG]. It probably wouldn't hurt to worm them again. I would ask what wormer was used and what they were vaccinated for. Are they laying?

3. Bethany86

Oct 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    H

Hi thanks for your reply! I have had them for two days now and I've gotten one egg (I think it was from Daphne the austrolorp). I will call the seller tomorrow and ask about the wormer she used. Is there a particular brand you can suggest to me should I need to worm them again?

4. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It usually takes them a week or so to settle in to new surroundings. A pale comb could also indicate lice. I use panacur ( safeguard ) but I have read very positive things about valbazen , and will be rotating my wormer next time round.

5. Bethany86

Oct 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks again! I've started to wonder if the pale comb could be a result of her age/breed and maybe I'm just being paranoid. Would a light sussex have a lighter comb then my austrolorp and Wyandotte? Sorry for all the questions! I'm almost as nervous as I was when I bought my baby daughter home haha

6. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These are my LF sussex.
    And as you can see , juvenile are a lot paler until they reach maturity.

7. Bethany86

Oct 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ahha, my girls comb would be the colour of the younger chook (top pic) and I'm told that she is 40 weeks.. That's considered mature right?

8. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

I think Valbazen is the best wormer out, 1/2 cc orally then again 10 days later ,14 day withdraw before eating any of the eggs 24 days total throwing away eggs.
    Valbazen in a broad spectrum wormer and kills the worms slowly so no chance of intestinal blockage like other wormers that kill them all at once.
    wayzine is for round worm only and safeguard kills them all at once.

9. Bethany86

Oct 14, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you All Henned Up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by