Pale comb, not moving much, being pecked on, gnats

JLMT

Hatching
Aug 21, 2017
Hi Y'all. Louise, our leghorn, isn't a happy chick today. She is about 16 weeks old and hasn't started laying eggs yet. I've been out of town so haven't kept a close eye on the hens lately. Today is my first real day home and here is what I noticed.

There are gnats around the yard/coop area - no idea where they came from - hubby thought maybe Irma brought them. She seems to be getting attacked by the gnats (I've not witnessed this, but hubby did). He also saw the other hens picking on her. Today when they were let out to free range, for some reason they all decided to go under the house. Louise (and a couple other rascals) had to be chased out from under the house after dark. She was very easy to catch, so this is my first time to check her out. I don't see any sores or gnats, but her comb is pale and mostly bent to the side. I want to say her beak is also pale. She is slow moving, or lethargic. I'm not sure when to say she is lethargic, vs just slow as if she's depressed.

This is my first time with chickens. I had her shipped to me at one day old & have 12 other hens. I am about to give her some electrolytes and will keep her on the porch in a clothes basket tonight. I prefer to treat her as naturally and organically as possible. I do have some herbs I can give her, manuka honey, ACV, probiotics on hand.
UPDATE: I tried to give the electrolytes with a dab of manuka honey, ACV (about 1/8 tsp in an ounce-ish, and a tiny micro drop of oregano essential oil. She wouldn't open her beak and I couldn't get it open (I may have been "chicken" to open it cuz it seemed to need a bit of force." She is standing up - not lying down. They prefer to sleep in the window sill rather than stand on their roost, so I can't say it's cuz of her being used to a roost. She is tired (it was after 9 PM) so I'm letting her rest for the night.
I appreciate all the direction I can get. Thank you for caring. IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2915.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2918.JPG IMG_2920.JPG

Last edited:
I have a Louise, too.

Poor Louise certainly does appear to be under the weather. I believe the gnats are coincidental, though. If you've had a lot of rain, things are probably still very soggy. Those conditions, besides encouraging the outbreak of pesky gnats, can also lead to an increase in the cocci parasites occurring naturally in the soil.

Louise may have herself a case of cocci overload. Of course, it could be any one of a number of other things causing her to feel unwell. But it can't hurt to get some Corid and mix it into their water for the next five days. If one has coccidiosis, all are likely to have it to some degree also.

It is not a medicine. It blocks B vitamins, thus starving the cocci. If Louise continues to act sick after a few days of Corid, something else may be going on.

Does she have any scabs on her face, comb, or wattles? I cannot see the pictures clearly, but in the 3rd pic, it seems there may be some. Fowl pox is common this time of year from mosquitoes. I agree with Azygous in that it could one of be several things. Try to get fluids into her by holding a small cup up to her beak, or by dipping the beak occasionally. Corid certainly wouldn't hurt her if that is a problem. Try offering some chopped egg, and many chickens will take some wet feed when mixed with water, egg, and plain yogurt. It helps to spend some time watching their behavior, in case bullies keep the lower pecking order ones from eating or drinking.

Back
Top Bottom