Pale comb, pale feathers, seems fine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tippyman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Tippyman

Tippyman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    I have 6 hens, all of whom seemed to just go through or are going through their big 18 month molt. (Very few eggs, feathers all over the run, chickens looking scraggily and have pin feathers all over: normal molt stuff.)

However, I have one RIR who doesn't seem to be molting (feathers seem intact) but her comb had flopped over, is very pale, and her feathers look dull. Like she needs a new coat of varnish or something, haha. She's been like this for a couple weeks. My other RIR went through molt, but her comb stayed red and she just got all-pin feathery and scraggly like the rest, no dull feathers.

Other than the physical appearance, she is fit as a fiddle. Chasing the other birds, running for food, eating out of my hand, jumping for treats, etc. Could she be just going through a slow molt? Or is this coincidental timing with molt and she has worms or other parasites?

Before winter I cleaned the whole coop out and dusted the birds and coop with Sevin dust so there shouldn't be any mites. I caught the hen in question yesterday and looked her over and under her feathers and her vent. No signs of any creepy crawlies. Should I wait it out and see, or start a parasite/worming regimen?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    I've never wormed them before, and they do live in a dirt run at the edge of the woods. Been real wet lately; makes sense...

Guess I'll give it a go, couldn't hurt! Probably should make it a regular thing twice a year or so.

Does this stuff have a shelf life? Southern States near me has it, but 500ml is 1000 doses! [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The first link--wholesale kennel has a smaller amount for sale.

5. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    Yeah but with shipping it still doesnt save a whole lot. Id rather pay for the local stuff and get it started now!

6. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    First round down. Squirted a little into the "bowl" of the bottom beak and let them drink a little at a time. Some seemed to actually like it, some wanted to kill me.

Round two in 10 days!

Has anyone who's gone through this before noticed how long before chickens start to respond color-wise?

7. Tippyman

Aug 31, 2014
    Some progress! The Rhode Island Red is, um, red! Her comb is still floppy, but red! Her rear end still seems a little dull, but the front half of her is looking good.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

Compared to the other red who is still recovering from molt:

[​IMG]

I was also rewarded with 4 eggs, & one from my Easter Egger. Been a long time since I've seen those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by