Pale comb, panting, loss of appetite, egg decrease

Cohl0406

Songster
5 Years
May 29, 2014
My leghorn looks sad really. She usually lays an egg a day but I havent seen one from her in a while. Shes only a year old. She is open mouthed panting a lot lately, even when I brought her inside. I was able to easily go and pick her up which was my first sign something was wrong as she is super flighty. Very watery poop but it's so hot and humid here it could be due to her drinking more, however, I offered her an egg today and she just looked at it. Big red flag because all my chickens LOVE eggs, especially freshly cracked ones. Shes constantly open mouthed panting but again not sure if it is really heat or distress and her normally bright comb is a sad pale red that looks like it almost has a spider web over it (it's not one I checked) oh she also looks like she might have a runny nose

I'm thinking I need to worm? My flock has never been wormed so I'm not even sure what to use. I have easy access to tractor supply and other feed stores. Any advise is greatly appreciated! Pretty worried about her

Attachments

• 20190626_191856.jpg
    20190626_191856.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 18
My leghorn looks sad really. She usually lays an egg a day but I havent seen one from her in a while. Shes only a year old. She is open mouthed panting a lot lately, even when I brought her inside.

she also looks like she might have a runny nose
I'm sorry about your hen.
Can you post some photos of her poop?
Have you added chickens to your flock in the last 30 days?

You say she's not laid in a while, (several days, week?) can you feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or fluid? Likely she doesn't have an egg stuck, but it might be a good idea to gently feel inside the vent about 1-2" for an egg.

You also mention she might have a runny nose - is it runny or not? Mucous or watery?
Has your flock ever had any respiratory symptoms - sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, facial swelling, etc.?

Is her crop empty in the morning before eating/drinking?

Not egg bound and didnt feel any swelling earlier when I was holding her to get a better look at her. I can feel her croup in the morning and see but I havent seen her eating much anyway. Her nose looked wet around the openings so I would say yes? No new birds in the last thirty days it's been about 3-4 days since she last laid. Only other issues I've had with the flock was fowl pox about a 9 months to a year ago and she was around the chickens that had it then as a pullet although I never saw her have symptoms and one chicken with a broken leg from jumping off too high an area in the coop (since fixed) her droppings looked green and very watery tonight. No sneezing coughing or swelling just the open mouth fast panting. Eyes look alright but she would prefer to be still and close them today which is another very rare thing for her.

Not egg bound and didnt feel any swelling earlier when I was holding her to get a better look at her. I can feel her croup in the morning and see but I havent seen her eating much anyway. Her nose looked wet around the openings so I would say yes? No new birds in the last thirty days it's been about 3-4 days since she last laid. Only other issues I've had with the flock was fowl pox about a 9 months to a year ago and she was around the chickens that had it then as a pullet although I never saw her have symptoms and one chicken with a broken leg from jumping off too high an area in the coop (since fixed) her droppings looked green and very watery tonight. No sneezing coughing or swelling just the open mouth fast panting. Eyes look alright but she would prefer to be still and close them today which is another very rare thing for her.
Does she sit down at all, or is she mainly standing like that with her tail down?
If she's standing most of the time, I would still consider her having a reproductive disorder, especially since she was a daily layer (go Leghorns!) and now has not been laying. It's hard to know which condition - most all look similar in symptoms - Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, etc. Symptoms include lethargy, loose droppings, not eating/drinking, loss of weight in the breast, sometimes swelling or fluid in the abdomen, difficulty walking/lameness and labored breathing.

The watery nostrils are a mystery, but I wonder if it's because she's panting so much - does it sound raspy or congested or just open mouth breathing.
Also one more thing, just in case...have you checked inside her beak and taken a good look to make sure there's nothing stuck.

I've never really seen her sit down other than to lay, even when I would go check on them at night. She normally roosts high up in the rafters so couldnt really see her. No sounds just open mouth breathing. I did try to take a look down her throat buuuuuuut she really came to life for that and pitched a fit. Only thing I saw was the open split (learned that's normal tonight lol) didnt seem like anything was blocking her airway. I wanted to check for that worm when I watched her. She seems interested in food but like shes too worn out to really eat. Would it be worth it to worm her? Should I try corid? Something else? I have nothing here at the moment so would need to go pick it up. I dont want to lose her shes our only leghorn and while shes a crazy little thing I thoroughly enjoy her craziness lol

I'm headed to tractor supply. From what I've been able to find I'm thinking I should try corid first in case its coccidosis and then ivermectin to deworm. I guess I'll deworm all the birds but do I need to treat everyone with corid as well?

I've never really seen her sit down other than to lay, even when I would go check on them at night. She normally roosts high up in the rafters so couldnt really see her. No sounds just open mouth breathing. I did try to take a look down her throat buuuuuuut she really came to life for that and pitched a fit. Only thing I saw was the open split (learned that's normal tonight lol) didnt seem like anything was blocking her airway. I wanted to check for that worm when I watched her. She seems interested in food but like shes too worn out to really eat. Would it be worth it to worm her? Should I try corid? Something else? I have nothing here at the moment so would need to go pick it up. I dont want to lose her shes our only leghorn and while shes a crazy little thing I thoroughly enjoy her craziness lol

I'm headed to tractor supply. From what I've been able to find I'm thinking I should try corid first in case its coccidosis and then ivermectin to deworm. I guess I'll deworm all the birds but do I need to treat everyone with corid as well?
If she is panting constantly and not drinking, getting her hydrated would be important.
You can try the Corid and see if that helps. An adult usually does not have an overload unless there is an underlying condition that weakens them allowing for Coccidia to flourish. The Corid will not hurt her though. If nothing else, getting the Corid water into her will help hydrate her. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period.

If you are thinking that she has Gapeworm, then get Safeguard at Tractor Supply. Ivermectin is not that effective and might treat roundworms. Safeguard dosage is 0.23 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days.

upload_2019-6-27_14-44-24.png

They didnt have safeguard when I was there. I did grab ivermectin just in case. Can i just give corid straight? We have lots of low spots and they have many water sources in the yard right now. I grabbed some electrolytes and vitamins as well.

So I have
corid liquid
Invermectin paste
Vetrx
Electrolytes and vitamins.

I can go check at our feed store for the safeguard. If nothing else theres another TS I can go to that's not too far

Back
Top Bottom