Pale comb, watery poop, molting.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rabbitdoubt, Jan 29, 2015.

1. rabbitdoubt

rabbitdoubt New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    My chicken's been molting for a few weeks. Her poop has been watery and her comb is pale. She hasn't been eating much. She's really picky about her food, so it's hard to get her to eat more. Is this because of the molting? She's walking around like normal and isn't lethargic.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. rabbitdoubt

rabbitdoubt New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    I'm pretty sure that she's molting because I see new feathers coming in, but I don't know. She's about 18 months old. Is this a normal time for her to be molting?

We've been trying to get her to eat more protein and I've heard that giving chickens scrambled eggs is a good source of protein, but she's so picky that she doesn't want to eat it.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    One of the best things to recognize is when birds are at the onset of moult, and begin supplementing early so moult is not as stressful. It is also good to deworm before moult or after moult is complete. Don't waste your time with Wazine (pierazine). Use Valbazen (albendazole) or Safe-guard (fenbendazole) liquid since most are available at any feed store.

Supplementation is necessary during moult as it is other times of year. Chickens eating less during moult should get supplements in the water in addition to supplements in feed. A vitamin-mineral-electrolyte powder should be labeled for poultry since they have different requirements compared to other animals.

A water soluble probiotic like Probios is very beneficial in water once a week: http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules3.html

Supplementing feed is necessary since they don't eat as much of it. Quality protein consisting of amino acids that are digestible is key to supplementing and should be palatable (even though there are still people who insist chickens don't taste anything). Digestible protein means everything when it comes to diet since too much can slow down digestion, cause bacterial infections in the intestinal tract, then you have birds with enteritis.

There are many moult supplements used by pigeon fanciers that are far superior in regard to digestible proteins compared to just tossing out game bird crumbles. Take a look around Foy's or Jedd's pigeon supply websites and you'll find affordable supplements that will easily last a year with an average size flock of a dozen birds.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by