Pale comb

DEchicks5

Chirping
Apr 26, 2015
Middletown , Delaware
Hi Everyone!
Looking for some advise ... I have a 1 1/2 year old Copper Moran hen who at around 22 weeks last year started laying eggs, her comb was normal color. She laid for 3 months and then all of a sudden in the spring quit, her comb became pale almost white and has stayed that way. Ive checked her for mites and lice. She's clean my other hens are clean. All of her activity was still normal up until a day ago when she started to become less active. I did get her to eat some eggs tonight and put the heater on for her since its starting to get into the 20's here.She does feel to me like she's losing weight. Her eyes are clear. All 5 of my other hens are fine. I don't think its worms or parasites and her food is iron fortified. Ive tried to read everything I can find. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what else this could be? -- Thanks

How can you be sure it's not worms? Chickens can lose circulation to their combs in cold weather. But since this has been going on for awhile I doubt that's what this is. My best guess is she has some type of parasite. Is there any avian/poultry vet you could take her too to be tested?

I had someone who has had chickens for years tell me she didn't think she had worms or parasites since my chickens didn't free range and none of the other ones had any of these symptoms. She said if one had it I'd see it in all of them because they eat and scratch at the same stuff. Is that not accurate ?

I had someone who has had chickens for years tell me she didn't think she had worms or parasites since my chickens didn't free range and none of the other ones had any of these symptoms. She said if one had it I'd see it in all of them because they eat and scratch at the same stuff. Is that not accurate ?

Yes, that is right but nothing else really makes since. You're probably going to have to take blood and fecal samples from her and send it to a vet or lab to be tested for worms and diseases. Or take her to a vet

She could have egg peritonitis, internal laying, ascites or a reproductive cancer. I have had several hatchery birds suffer from a couple of these illnesses...Some started showing symptoms about 6 months old (very shortly after starting laying). If she had laid normally until recently I would think that she was just taking a break during cold weather/short days. But if she hasn't laid in some time I think you have something else going on. Sorry.
It would be a good idea to worm her though just to rule that out but since they don't free range I don't really think that's the issue.

I did feel around her abdomen area and didn't feel anything odd or bulges anywhere. She hasn't laid since feb/march of this year and still hasn't. I've tried to read everything and am at such a loss. She doesn't interact with any of the other hens and sleeps alone in a nesting box closest to the ground. Will have to find a vet around here. Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom