1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amoro, Jan 13, 2018.

1. amoro

amoro In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2016
    im new to chickens have 2 girls live in Wisconsin they are molting and have pale combs eating and drinking normally there combs are bright red. Is this normal

2. apryl29

apryl29 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    NE Ohio
    Others with more experience May reply with different opinions, but I've noticed that when my chickens go into a molt their Combs turn the lighter pink color. When they start laying again their Combs get larger again and turn red. I had a sebright bantam who stopped laying in October and her comb lost most of its color and shriveled up, but she recently started laying and now her comb is red and plump again. Of course I'm a novice & others may have different suggestions.

3. amoro

amoro In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2016
    Thankyou

apryl29 likes this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

I agree, it is likely just due to the molting. All my molters have paled combs. A higher protein feed might be nice for them through the molt.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. Heffel

Heffel In the Brooder

May 17, 2017
    Wisconsin here too. I noticed today my Buff Orpington has a super pale comb today too. Several weeks of below zero temps might have an impact too.

apryl29 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: