pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mimi, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Mimi

Mimi New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    One of my 4 mo. old Australorps has a very pale, underdevolped comb, compared to the others of the same age. Her feahers are great, she is active and eats well. Healthy other than the pale comb.

Also: How much food grade de to put in the hen yard? I am new to the use of de.

Thanks and hope all are well.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    if she's healthy, she may just be a late bloomer. keep checking for anything hokey or signs of illness. if nothing shows, she's probably going to just be the slowpoke of the group.

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had hens with poor coloring...could just be that too. I tend to treat my chickens like my kids.....I only worry when they "act" sick. Keep a close eye on her.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

answering your 2nd question, I use a gallon size hanging feeder for mine...and check it everyday.

5. Mimi

Mimi New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    Thanks for the info. It makes me feel better. She and her sister are both sort of small but have grown a lot recently. They are also skitterish.

I'll keep an eye on them. thanks again

6. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    In my group of RIRs the smallest chicken, who is also the bottom of the pecking order, never developed a large comb and compared to the others it was always very pale. But she gets plenty of feed, water, exercise, sunlight, etc. and she was actually the first girl to start laying and then to lay every day. Unless she acts listless or sick don't fret about her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by