1. MadAussieInUSA

MadAussieInUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    Got a hen (barred plymouth rock) that just lays in the nest box. comb is pale pale with white. I dont see any green droppings but someone may have had watery, as in clear watery. I noticed a wet spot under one of the rosts.. Didnt see anything on the roof where it might have been a leak with all the rain we just had... temps have been < 32 but I've had the heat lamp in there and going.

yesterday this hen was standing on 1 leg under the ladder that goes into the nestbox.. today she is curled up and not moving. I know she is breathing but thats about it.

other 3 hens showing no signs of anything. good looking combs, eating well, going crazy in the run etc. no bad looking droppings anywhere I can see.

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It sounds like she is not feeling well. Have you checked her crop for impaction or sour crop, maybe internal laying? Is she breathing heavily?

3. MadAussieInUSA

MadAussieInUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    Well at 3pm she was not opening her eyes, and at 5:30, head was buried in pine chips and was totally unresponsive. I was kinda too quesy to check the body over but she was totally gone. I checked around the vent and didnt see anything obviously wrong. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by