Pale Comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzervas92, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hi everyone, I noticed today that my Rhode Island Red hen has a very light pink comb. I have been doing some research on here and found A LOT of reasons why she could have a pale comb.
    I'm not really sure what it could be because she hurt her leg a month ago. She healed very quickly (within a few days) and she's acting like her normal self. I'm concerned because she looks like she's old, but shes only 8 months.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    I don't know why I can't get the picture to upload

3. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    This is her now:[​IMG]

This was her over the summer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is she laying? Birds that aren't laying will have paler combs. Other causes of pale combs include heat or cold, or worms. In hot weather, a birds comb sometimes gets red (but can also get pale). So, her comb might have been redder over the summer because it was warm. Personally, I think your chicken is fine. I notice that my birds vary in the color of their comb throughout the seasons, or even day to day.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    When did you last treat them for lice/mites? A pale comb can be a cause of lice/mites too....

6. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Thank you for the responses! I actually don't think she's laying right now. I was concerned because she was the only one with a pale comb, and she got hurt not to long ago. But I'm glad to hear that you think she's ok. Every time I clean the coop I treat for mites and lice. So far I have never had an issue. I let them free range when I'm home and I made a huge dust bathing area for them to roll around in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by