pale combs and wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macombcochick, Feb 23, 2013.

1. macombcochick

macombcochick Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my buff orpingtons went through a terrible molt this winter, and now appears very pale in her comb and wattle. She is eating well and her activity level is fine, however, she has had a change in her personality-- she was the dominant hen in my flock of 4, but is now more stand off-ish of the rest. She hasn't yet started to lay again. I have fed them all the same-- feed supplimented with extra protein and fat sources for the winter cold. I have started adding food grade DE in case it might be worms. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    sometimes they can take a long time to come out of molt, dont be shocked if it takes several months. the pale comb and wattles is normal for a hen that has been molting, just means her hormones haven't kicked back in yet. hopefully she's start laying again soon

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    DE will not get rid of worms. I would recommend wazine in their water and one week later a dose of Ivermectin pour on.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree that at least some of the paleness is a lowered hormone level, related to not laying during the molt. However, this may be an excellent time to consider worming -- and DE will not worm them. I would recommend Valbazen. Give 0.5 ml by mouth to each, repeat in 10 days. Put it on something like a bite of bread; don't try adding it to the water. Valbazen is the only wormer that gets all worms that chickens get. Egg withdrawal is usually considered to be 21 days.

Here are a couple of resources.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-seeing-live-worms-in-poo/0_20#post_9315842

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

1 person likes this.
  5. macombcochick

macombcochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all the info. I feel better about everything now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by