Pale combs, runny noses and semi lethargic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    But still eating, drinking, and acting normal, apart from the lethargy.
    One bird is already laying eggs, and the other is my youngest of 7 weeks. The Seven week old's comb is not pale though.
    Very little sneezing, clear discharge, not overly obvious. I had to hold her and stare at her face until she sneezed to realize what was going on.
    Any ideas as to what is going on? And if so, how do I treat it?
    Oh and Normal stool! No blood.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Sorry for the double post, but i really do need some advice?
    Both also run away from me just fine!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor silkies.

You could start by giving them some electrolytes and see if they improve or perk up at all. Are there any fumes or dusts around that might bother them?

There are a few types of respiratory diseases. People on this forum have recommended an injectable antibiotic that is in the farm store actually made for cattle etc. called Tylan 50. There is also a Tylan 200 I believe- a different concentration. I have not used it myself, but if you do a search you can find the recommended dosage based on birds weight which is a very small dose considering how small your silkies are.

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    scratch'n'peck :

Poor silkies.

You could start by giving them some electrolytes and see if they improve or perk up at all. Are there any fumes or dusts around that might bother them?

There are a few types of respiratory diseases. People on this forum have recommended an injectable antibiotic that is in the farm store actually made for cattle etc. called Tylan 50. There is also a Tylan 200 I believe- a different concentration. I have not used it myself, but if you do a search you can find the recommended dosage based on birds weight which is a very small dose considering how small your silkies are.

Ok, so just try the electrolights first before I try giving them a shot of the tylan stuff, ok, I know where to get that! Thank you!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by