pale crusty comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nursesoc, Feb 17, 2017.

1. nursesoc

nursesoc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Northwestern Ohio
    Not sure whats going on with my RIR I first thought her comb was just dry but seems to be getting worse? The other five seem fine maybe a little white on their combs here and there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Maybe some frost bite??

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Her comb and wattles are definitely looking a little less than optimal right now -- how old is she? Any other changes noted in her consumption of feed/water, output of waste, activity? Have you piecked her up and assessed her overall body condition?

4. nursesoc

Apr 8, 2016
    Northwestern Ohio
    She is about one year old. She is acting normal and is active nothing out of the ordinary on waste and seems to be eating fine. The only other thing is she has bare spot on her bottom just below her vent and was told it's from the others pecking at her and I've witnessed it also. We have 3 RIR and 3 buffs and they seem to bully the RIRs I've been using blue kote on her bottom

5. nursesoc

Apr 8, 2016
    Northwestern Ohio
    She is acting normal and active I did pick her up and checked her out and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. She does have a bare spot on her bottom and I have been using blue kote on that. All 3 of our reds have some feathers missing on their bottoms and I have been told it's from getting pecked at which I have witnessed our buffs doing this. I increased their protein and have been letting them free range more. I'm really worried about the come and wattles on the one red? Do you think it could be some kind of disease?

6. cristya

cristya New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    I would try adding some "save-a-chick" electrolytes to their water for a few days. I feed it to mine occasionally and their combs, ears, waddles seem so much brighter. I also give them their probiotic package on occasion. It never hurts! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by