Pale eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NevadaRon, May 9, 2011.

1. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    My birds have suddenly (last few days) started laying very pale, almost white eggs. They also seem to be smaller than they were before. The breeds are Red sex link, Black sex link, and Rhode Island Red. They have free access to oyster shell. The last two bags of feed have been Purina Layena pellets. Before that, I had been feeding them layer pellets from a company called A.L. Gilbert - a smallish (smaller than Purina anyway [​IMG]) feed supplier in California. The birds are about 1 year old. Nobody seems to be molting. Any ideas?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    any hens eggs will get lighter as their laying cycle nears it's end before molting. I have many hens that lay dark eggs after their molt is finished but then within a few months the eggs get lighter and lighter. I don't recall mine getting smaller but I have had a few fart eggs! Little tiny peanut egg-cute as a button!

3. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Thanks, I was thinking they should be getting to molting age soon, since they are a little over one year old. I'm not really sure on the smaller thing - too subjective. They do seem to lay different sizes all the time. Also, about a week ago I got a tiny egg, too - very dark brown, and even smaller than the pullet eggs I got when they were young.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yuppers you got yourself a little fart egg dark because all the color was concentrated on that little egg instead of spread out on a normal size eggie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by