Pale face and tail down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camershek, Feb 6, 2017.

1. camershek

camershek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    I have an 11 month old silver laced Wyandotte. Her face looks very pale compared to her sisters and she's keeping her tail down. I noticed tons of feathers in the coop this morning and haven't gotten any eggs in a week. Could she be molting?

Haven't gotten eggs from any of them (3) but the other 2 look fine

2. camershek

camershek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She would be young for her big first molt which usually happens around 16-18 months old and yearly thereafter. But major stress could force a molt. Her tail being down is very strong sign that something is wrong. Can you check inside her vent with one finger about an inch or so, to look for a stuck egg? Look her over around and under her vent and elsewhere for signs of lice or mites, very tiny bugs. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard, and make sure that it empties by morning before she eats. Feel of her chest area for weight loss around her keel or breastbone, and for any fullness in her lower belly. I would bring her inside in a crate, and give her water with some SaveAChick electrolytes and offer some chopped egg with her food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by