Pale Face, Liquid Poop, and Light as a Feather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1Calypso2, Aug 17, 2014.

1. 1Calypso2

1Calypso2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    One of my poor Plymouth Rocks has been sick for about a week now, and i am not sure what she has, or how to treat it! Her face is usually a bright pinkish red, but is this pale whitish, pinkish, yellowish color. She has been having very bad diarrhea, the entire time, and has lost a lot of weight. She does eat, just not very much, and her "food pouch" has been empty for way too long. I don't know whether she has a worm/worms or whether its just a virus. Her condition is not getting worse, but I am worried for her! If you know anything that could help, please let me know!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be worms, coccidiosis, or enteritis. How old is she? Has she been standing puffed up or hunching? Valbazen and fenbendazole (SafeGuard Goat Wormer, Panacur) are the better wormers to use--1/2 ml of either one by mouth, then repeat in 10 days. Coccidiosis is treated best with Corid (amprollium) for 5-7 days--2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water is the dosage. Here is some info on cocci and enteritis, but I would worm right away:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    X2

4. 1Calypso2

1Calypso2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    She is 2 years old and stands puffed and slowly walks around.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is a vet possible to get her stool checked for cocci, worms, and clostridium perfringens that can cause enteritis? If not, then I would worm her with Valbazen or fenbendazole, then put her on an antibiotic to treat for enteritis. Penicillin, Gallimycin, Areomycin, Bacitracin, and Amoxicillin will treat enteritis. If she has been exposed to new birds or new soil recently where cocci could be the problem, then I would treat with Corid for 5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by