Pale Faces, combs And Waddles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dinosaur Gal, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Dinosaur Gal

Dinosaur Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    Hello everyone and thank you for taking time to look at and answer my post. I have 5 chickens (4 hens 1 roo) two of them have pale faces combs and waddles they are bantam cochins the roo is also a bantam cochin but he is just fine with color my other two hens hav fine color two, All of them had a respitorie disease last year i used a antibiotic and it took care of the symptoms quickly but im sure they still have it its just dorment cause the bamams still sneeze like they usd to a couple times a day. Im feeding them all purina starter/grower and some oyter shells once a day. Im thinking maybe its a deficiency of some sort but i dont know the affected hens are eating and drinking well and there poop looks normal. I plan on switching them to a organic layer feed so maybe that might help? I do have a pic of when they had normal coloration but i dont have one after so ill look for a similar picture. Thanks so much i need help.

The top two hens in this photo are the ones im speaking about this is when they were normal.

[​IMG]

And this is a what they look like now (this is not them just a photo i found that looks like how they are now.

[​IMG]

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Following for advice...I have a chicken whose face has turned pale as well. Only one out of the flock of 12. Hopefully somebody comes along with some advice!

3. Dinosaur Gal

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    Wow im sorry to hear that but atleast we're not alone!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If they have recently molted or are not laying at present, they may typically have a pale comb. Decreased light in wintertime can cause a cease in laying. Adding a light on a timer in the early morning can help to give them 12 hours of daylight, which is all that is required for laying. It can take a couple of weeks to help. Also check their skin all over for signs of mites which can cause anemia. Read this link:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

5. Dinosaur Gal

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    Yes the two affected hens are not laying at the moment but the ones that are have a good color. Thank you so much for replying. Ill check out that link just in case and look at them for mites in the summer i try to dust them with DE and i have been trying faithfully putting a small dusting of DE, garlic powder and cayenne pepper on top of there food and some Aple cider vinegar in there water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by