Pale goose, always sleeping

Thanks so much. There are no avian vets nearby, so I picked up some Corid today. She has been like this for quite a while, so I don't plan on treating the others. I think I'll just isolate her for a while so she can get extra rest while getting treatment.

Corid (amprolium) is used to treat an overload of coccidia in poultry (and other animals). Coccidia are one-celled parasitic organisms that are present on all continents and countries of the world; at least one strain of this organism lives in your soil. Coccidia and their eggs are ingested by your flock routinely, without adverse affects. The problem typically arises either as baby chicks that haven't built up a resistance to the parasite yet, or in mature birds that for one reason or another are immuno-compromised. Coccidia feed by latching onto the infected animal's bowels and ingesting their B-Vitamins.
Amprolium imitates the B-vitamin that coccidia require to survive. Dosing your entire flock with this medication will not hurt your birds in any way, shape, or form. The eggs will not need to be withheld from incubation or from your eating pleasure. This medication is not an antibiotic, so a resistance is not built up by the parasite (or your flock). With no B-vitamins in your flock's digestive system, the coccidia that have been latched onto the bowels and dining on your birds will starve to death and then be pooped out.
I'd treat by adding this to all available water sources for your entire flock, per the directions on the packaging, using the higher dosing for 'acute' symptoms to accommodate the needs of your very sick bird.
Once full treatment is complete, I recommend adding a poultry vitamin powder to the water for a week to boost those B-vitamin levels back to their pre-treatment levels.

Thanks everyone. Bettye was isolated for a while today to get a dosage of treatment. She was not happy, but I got her to drink a concentrated amount of corid water. Updates to follow!

It's going to be a cold one for us at 13F tonight.

Back
Top Bottom