1. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    Can anyone help?? I rescued four ex battery hens in may and theyre all doing great. Combs shrinking and feathers growing and 100% normal chicken behavior. However one hen is very pale and isn't putting on as much weight as the others her comb and wattle are pale compared to the others but in herself she seems very happy lays well and eats lots. Any suggestions as to why she might be pale and if this is a problem?

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    is it really hot where you are? I am new to chickens, but have noticed two of my hens on very hot days look pale and are panting, then get better and look better ,redder comb ,as the day cools off.if this is the problem give them some water with ice cubes in it, I give them chilled fruits and veggies and keep them in the shade all day and limit their activity until it cools off.

I have also seen their comb become pale when they are in a molt too, they look ill then also.
    you can give her some electrolyte solution in their water to give them a boost in energy

3. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    When they are malting they use up a lot of energy surprisingly and can make there combs go pale. As she is growing more feathers it could be just that. I would worry about her too much just keep an eye on her for any other signs. If she is still acting normal it normally means there isn't much wrong.
    Daisy. xx

4. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    Thank you for your replies :) my mind is definitely more at ease and she is acting perfectly normal and her usual cheeky self. It is not hot where I live (rainy old England) I haven't taken off my jumper for Most of the summer lol. But if it does get hot I will def put some ice in their water. I have noticed that she does get her colour back at different times but then other times is pale again. I will see how she is when she's fully feathered.

Thanks again :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by