Pale legs- Welsummer Roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chamelle, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    I have a gorgeous young Wellie cockeral that I'd like to use for breeding. He came from MotherGoose's eggs.

I'm worried about his legs though, they're quite pale compared to the other Welsummer roo I have. Almost white.

Anyone know if that's no big deal that pops up every once in a while, or if I shouldn't allow him to breed?

The other roo is perfect (as far as my untrained eye can tell) he's just kind of a butthead, and super wild. The pale legged roo is SO sweet.

I'd really rather keep the nice one. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    White shanks and feet is a dominant trait so he will produce young that have white shanks and feet. The color of the shanks is dependent upon skin color. To test for his skin color (white or yellow) take the comb between two fingers and gently squeeze the comb. Hold the pressure for about 30 seconds until the blood stops flowing into the area between your fingers. When you release your fingers, look at the color of the comb where your fingers were applying the pressure . If the area is yellow he has yellow skin if the area is white he has white skin. If the skin is yellow, you can use him for breeding.

Tim

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, I like that test, Tim! Thank you. I know what you mean about the comb-I've seen it while putting protectants on the combs in the winter. Most of mine are yellow skinned breeds, though.

4. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Thanks so much Tim, I'll try it. I think I may even try it on the 'other' rooster, if I can catch him, just to compare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by