Pale Lethargic Hen with dull discolored feathers around face

myretrieverotie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
I have a 2yr old barred rock hen whose comb and "face" is very pale/gray looking. The feathers around her face are dull & brittle looking. She looks as if she's got dust on her feathers around her face. She's acting very lethargic, but eating well. I first noticed her symptoms 3 days ago. She was lethargic that day but did get out of the pen and get around some Friday. Today she was laying by the food dish sleeping. When I bumped the pen she woke up & perked up & walked to me when she saw I had food. She is a little shaky on her feet today as well.

You need to get in there and pick up and inspect your hen. Pale comb may just be she is out of lay, but she could be anemic due to heavy parasite infection. Large amounts of lice/mites can cause anemia- pick her up and look at her vent area for lice. If you find them, treat accordingly as well as all of your chickens.

My girl passed on this evening. I had checked her over well & didn't find anything. Her skin was in great shape. She'd recently gone through molt but had filled back in nicely. We did have quite a fight with mites this summer but thought we were rid of them. So, I will treat everyone again just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom