1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pale round face and comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1hippiechick, Nov 22, 2014.

1. 1hippiechick

1hippiechick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    I have a 6 month old not sure if its male or female,that has a very pale face and comb. Out of 10 that were supposed to be hens 7 were roosters im hoping its a hen ad maybe it has to do with laying. She is eating and drinking fine, doesn't seem sick but something def seems wrong. Any advice? I will post a pic

2. 1hippiechick

1hippiechick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is very pale for sure. Have you checked her skin for evidence of mites? Mites and capillaria worms can cause severe anemia. I would take her to a vet if possible for an exam and a stool sample to test for all chicken worms. If not then I would start giving her Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell 3 drops orally each day. Also give her Valbazen 1 ml orally to deworm her for capillaria worms, and repeat that dose in 10 days. I would probably dust her for mites every 7 days X3 weeks with permethrin or sevin dust for mites just in case. Here is a link for the Valbazen if you farm store doesn't carry it: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....=86672855683&gclid=CMuP8M3Oj8ICFajm7Aod1wQATQ

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long has she been like this? What does her poop look like? Check her over as Eggcessive suggested. I have on occasion seen pale comb/wattles,but with my birds is was nothing to do with worms/mites/lice,but weather and hormones.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by