Pale skinny chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RanonDunn1, Feb 4, 2017.

1. RanonDunn1

RanonDunn1 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    I have a barred rock hen who was looking sickly. She would exit the coop then squat on the ground and sleep, she didn't care if others pecked at her nor did she get up when I came to get her. Her face and comb go from red to pale over and over. When she is pale she acts sleepy. Her poo is green and yellow as is small. This morning she threw up, it was clear. I tried to check her crop but I cannot feel it at all and her chest bone is very prominent. She has not layed an egg since yesterday and I have no idea when the last time she layed.

2. RanonDunn1

RanonDunn1 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get some PoultryNutridrench or some powedered chick vitamins and add to her water? The Nutridrench is 3 ml daily by mouth, and then I would hold a spoon to her beak to get her to drink water, or use a dropper. Can you put her out in the dog crate inside the house with food and water in front of her? Is she in the container for warmth? Offer her some chopped scrambled egg or some tuna in addition to her usual deed? Is she low in the pecking order where she may have been kept from food and water? Can you check her for lice and mites under her vent and elsewhere? Put an old towel, paper towels, or a puppy pad under her to check her droppings.

4. RanonDunn1

RanonDunn1 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    She is warm and has food and water. I don't think she's on the bottom of the pecking order. I can get her tuna and eggs to eat. I have her in a dog crate in case she has something contagious and I don't want the others to get it.
    She purked up a bit today, after noon she was holding her tail up again, but she still hasn't lain an egg which worries me. Her face and comb are still going from red to pale over and over.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you stick a finger coated with oil or lubricant into her vent an inch or two, to check for a stuck egg? I'm not sure about her color changes, unless she is having some breathing or heart problem, or is dehydrated. Does she feel hot when she is red? Make sure that she is drinking some fluids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by