1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pale watery winter eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by woolymammoth, Feb 8, 2015.

1. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    What are some good supplements to get back that orange color and the thick creamy texture back to my eggs. I know they don't get as much forage in the winter. I've started giving them greens, heads of lettuce and mix in alfalfa pellets to their feed. I haven't given this time to see if it works. But any added help would be appreciated

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Greens such as luserne (alfalfa), grass, spinach and yellow maize are good sources of nutrients and pigments. Certain feeds contain additives, such as marigold extract to help deepen the yolk colour. I've heard of people feeding marigold flowers, but my chickens won't touch it.

3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    On some mornings I mix warm water with 2 cups oatmeal, 2 cups feed, 2 Tbls dried Calendula petals, and sprinkle a bit of dried kelp over the top about a Tbls. Making a mash the consistency of thick oatmeal. We have 11 hens. The Calendula petals can be purchased on line. I grew the plants last year and saved the petals. The kelp came from the feed store. We also grow Kale and Swiss Chard that we feed to them often. Where we live, southern Oregon we can grow winter crops in our climate. When I feed them the Kale or Swiss Chard I toss them the whole leaf, it gives them something to peck at.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I also grow swiss chard for my flock. They adore it!

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    My birds have been getting kale, collards, and tender young weeds from the garden. Another food that helps with yolk color is pumpkin. Hang a slice in the coop, and it will give your birds hours of healthy entertainment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by