pale/yellow skin.....losing ducks....photos

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, May 23, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok for the full story i have a long post up in emergencies, but i thought id come and ask here on the 'duck' side of the problem
    ive lost a few muscovies over the pst 6 months and not one single hen has laid an egg this year.
    the scovies seem to be losing the red colour in their face..its now a sort of pale yellow/grey dry colour instead. ducks are losing weight..and a few have died....

all have be wormed, de-liced...eat waterfowl pellets and scratch from the chickens......

any idea what this could be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Have you changed their feed? Eating area? Water source? could they have gotten into a poision of some kind that just works slowly? When i have someone going pale usually being locked up for a night with sufficent food and water does the trick but your situtation does not sound nearly as easy.

3. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
  4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    The first thing that sprung to mind was red mite, but you say you have treated for this?

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I think liver flukes when I see this but am not sure if Muscovy can get infected with that or not.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:yes theyve been treated for lice and mites. never heard of liver flukes.......do they perhaps live in river/streams? we have a stream running through our field that the ducks use..........

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Where else does the stream go? Is there any chance that somebody upstream used an agricultural product that could be affecting them?

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    the stream runs from somewhere in holland through belgium (or from belgium through holland), so theres lots of rivers/lakes etc that all 'add' to it....so no doubt somewhere across the country somethings got into it....but im guessing its diluted before it reaches here...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by