Pale Yellow Yolk : Age of Chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SuperChickMama, Sep 17, 2012.

1. SuperChickMama

SuperChickMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Northwestern NC
    I have read a couple posts about pale yellow yolks, and possible causes. I have not changed anything in the feeding, care taking, and maintenance of my hens, however I have one that lays light yellow yolks. I was wondering if this could be a sign of being almost layed out. (that's what I call it) I'm not sure which one it is but I have one that is really gnarly looking and is first on the chopping block, the other 2 are the same age but still beautiful and healthy.

Thanks!

2. oegbantamsftw

oegbantamsftw Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Well I haven't read much about this my best guess is stress or how long the egg has been outside

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Everything I have ever read and my own experimenting with different foods has indicated that it is based on what the bird is eating. Is it possible that she is foraging less than the others and relaying more on feed (which could be somewhat age related maybe - hanging out at the coop instead of adventuring?)

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My (laying!) red sex link is seven years old and has nice dark yolks [​IMG]

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    wow! YAY for her! This makes me feel happy. My favorite hen just turned 3 and I was starting to wonder if things were going to go downhill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by