Pale, yellowish comb & wattles- any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Karen_at_LittleBrook, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Hello, I have a 10 month old Welsummer who's comb & wattles have gone pale with a yellowish tint over the last few weeks. She is eating, but not as aggressively as the others. She is pooping, but not large poos. She seems to be moving a little slower than the others, she was the last one out this morning. Her eye's are bright and clear, crop & vent seem normal. Her only "symptom" is the paleness & the yellowish cast to her face, comb & wattles. She has no feather loss. I can't say for sure if she has layed recently, tho. I did bring her in yesterday for exam and observation and she ate treats very well. I didnt see her drink however. She is appropriately vocal. I gave a few drops of Poly visol w/o iron and put a splash of gatorade in her water. No one else in the flock has the same symptoms.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this and what my course of action should be? I'm worried that it's her liver!

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Do the whites of her eyes have a yellowish tinge? IMHO I think it would be liver related. An infection or a liver that for whatever reason is starting to shut down. I would consult a vet.

3. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Well my jaundiced girl dosent seem to be getting any better. I have now tried Amoxicillin but dosent seem to be helping. Still no idea's anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by