Pallet chicken coop designs

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
I want to improve my chicken's quality of life, and I figured out the #1 way. If I separated them from the ducks/geese, they would have cleaner water and more food. I don't have tons of money, so I've figured I need something cheap. Then someone that works at a company says his company is trying desperately to get rid of pallets. And I think those pallets are free wood. Does anybody here have designs for a pallett chicken coop? The size is going to be approximately 20x20, give or take a few feet. He said there are probably enough pallets to build a couple houses if someone wanted to. So number of pallets is not a problem.

Okay so does anybody have pallet coop designs? And pictures would be nice.

I built my coop from scrap lumber and pallets. Mine is only a 4×6 with a 6×12 run.

Like building a doll house from tooth picks, it has been done but...

20x20 is hugh for wood from pallets, because typically the wood pieces from pallets are 3-ft long. So you will need to buy the long length lumbers or splice a whole bunch short pieces together.

When I build from reclaimed material, I would see what I have on hand, know the limitation, then decide how best to use them.

Like building a doll house from tooth picks, it has been done but...

20x20 is hugh for wood from pallets, because typically the wood pieces from pallets are 3-ft long. So you will need to buy the long length lumbers or splice a whole bunch short pieces together.

When I build from reclaimed material, I would see what I have on hand, know the limitation, then decide how best to use them.
The whole frame is going to be 2x4s. I already have a base plan, I was just mainly seeing if there were any other ideas/suggestions. My main problem is still finding where to put it. And I could still downsize my coop to about 15'x15' if I needed to.

I'm building an 8x10 pallet coop. Pressure treated wood for the frame, pallets for the floor (the pallets with plywood), plywood pallets for the walls, then using deconstructed regular pallets for the siding and nesting boxes. Not going to be finished until the spring, but it would be cool to keep each other updated and run ideas off of each other because it seems we are doing similar things! Also there are some GREAT youtube videos of pallet coops.

Back
Top Bottom