Pallet Coop almost complete

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tstone825, Oct 13, 2012.

1. tstone825

tstone825 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2012
    Ringgold, GA
    Well guys and gals we have gotten to a point in our coop that we can get our chickens now. I am still waiting to get the rest of the pallets to do the siding but for now we put up the wire mesh. I only have 3 EEs right now but am hoping to get a few more. I am going to post a picture so tell me what you think. We made nesting "platforms" and are going to attach 5 gal buckets but my question is should I build a box around it? I will get a better picture today because by the time we finished up it was to dark to take. Now the rectangle in the front is a window that will be able to open in the hot southern summer so I can ventilate and maybe get a breeze for them. Remember there will be wooden slats so when the window is closed you wont even know its there [​IMG]can't wait till daylight so I can go out and check on my girls!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Lookin good! Are you going to cover the run? And I can't tell from the photo...is that chicken wire or hardware cloth? If you're using buckets on their sides for nesting boxes, you shouldn't have to enclose them...each one will be private in itself. You will just want to put something across the front to keep the litter and eggs from falling out :)

3. tstone825

Oct 9, 2012
    Ringgold, GA
    I don't plan on covering the run they are locked up at night so I figured fresh air and sunlight is good for them during the daytime. I have enclosed with the chicken wire mesh. We built platforms for the buckets to go on with a board across the front so the eggs shouldn't fall out. The coop will be completely enclosed when we get the pallets but I was to excited about getting them so we used the wire for now.

4. mickey328

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Great idea for the bucket nests! I'd recommend using half inch hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. The wire will keep the chickens in but any predator down to and including skunks will laugh at it and rip right through. An enclosed top is a good idea if you have aerial predators like hawks, and coons and such can climb right up and over...or dig under if it's not sunk deeply enough.

You're right...the fresh air and sunlight are great for the birds...just like us :) IMO, the more time they can be out, the better as long as they're safe and have access to the coop if they want to go in...ie in rain or snow.

The only other thing I can see to ask about is ventilation. Do you have lots, and is it up higher than the chickens' heads when they're on their roost? You "almost" can't have too much...the moisture and fumes need to be whisked away in order to keep it a healthy coop...even, and maybe even especially, in winter :)

5. tstone825

Oct 9, 2012
    Ringgold, GA
    I do have the chicken wire on the top of the run but I have access to some more tin so I may put that over the run. I do have ventilation the rectangle along the front of the coop is actually a window that will be opened up except for night time. I am a little frustrated right now because i have 3 chickens and I believe 2 of them are roos :( can't get any eggs that way!

6. mickey328

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Not many, that's for sure [​IMG]

If you use some hardware cloth on the inside of that window, you can even leave it open at night. That way the air can move but the critters can't get in. We have wire on the top of our run...not many predators here but we do get hawks from time to time. When it's rainy, which isn't often, we throw a tarp over the end of it nearest the coop so they have a bit more room to get "in from the rain" but we leave the rest uncovered for them. Unless it's cold or windy, they don't seem to mind being in the rain much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by