Pallet coop time!

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
In the very initial stages of working on a pallet coop. Want to use as much recycle as I can. I ended up putting a 48"x48" pallet and a 48"x40" pallet together to make basically a 4'x7'4" coop. Coop itself is going to have a 3' high wall at the back and a 4' high wall at the front. I am going to have 6 hens (they arrive halloween!)....so I think they have PLENTY of room (they will be outside in a 8'x7' run during the day).
Biggest question I want to try and get answered.....I would like to allow the hens some room outside under the coop, and maybe put their dustbath under it or even the feeder/waterer. How much "headroom" will a grown hen need to safely be under a coop? 12", 18", 2' or what? 4' of the run will be covered, so if it has to be raised too high, then I won't be using the under coop area. I am in an area that allows chickens in the city, but covenants for the neighborhood don't allow (I have the blessing of all of my neighbors already), So I am wanting to keep the entire thing below fence line.
So what say you chicken experts? :)

Almost have the floor completely framed. That is Hamer (pronounced Hammer...rescue border collie) our inspector making sure it is up to code. So far he hasn't given us a citation. Once the floor is finished out, we will start to finally go vertical. This floor will have a 3/4" OSB sheet on top of it.

I love it when the current animals get involved on these projects!

Forgot to post pic of my recycled coop.......

I am new and this is my first post. I just began the adventure of a pallet coop. My coop will be 10x.7. It will be about 90% pallet wood. Everybody on here has great idea's. Everybody
have a great holiday.

Thought I'd show you what I did it also doubled as a garden for my mom earlier this year. Saved a lot more time and made more pens out of it :

I might steal some of this idea. I've got an old truck out in the yard that we're trying to get rid of it, pretty much just need the guy to show up with a flatbed to haul it out of here. Right now the girls have one heck of a dust bath area going on under it. I'm kinda thinking of setting up something with pallets there if and when he ever gets the truck the girls can keep that dust bath spot for when they're free ranging, having a bomb shelter area for when hawks do a flyby, and having a little garden area to grow a few things as well.

Today was graduation day!! The last 5 months have all led to this day...first day out in the run.....they did pretty good going to bed tonight too. took a little encouragement but they got it done...lol.

Our guard dog (Hamer the border collie) kept a good eye on the girls today.

No expert here but I left 17" under the coop I am building and my chickens have been spending some time under it already. That's to the bottom of the framing so they have an added 6" in between.

I have started laying the foundation for the pallet coop. I have a sloped yard, approximately 6.5" over a 4FT span, so I am doing some digging and leveling of the foundation first before building on it. Backyard is looking like a pallet yard so far.

Here is a pic of pallet nation....the cedar 4'x38" boxes are all part of an upcoming garden. I am going to have 2 12' rows for the spring.\

Got the 4 corners level. Just the middle supports left. Notice the pallet in middle with double opening. Already a perfect nest box opening complete with overhang. These came from a electricians company.

Got some siding cut out of the pallets too. Still need more to complete the exterior though.

Will end up staining this entire thing to waterproof it to a degree. The pallets that are being used as walls are 44"x48" which is perfect. I have a 48x88" base. They square up nicely all the way around. Finishing out the leveling today, then securing the base hopefully today or tomorrow. The work continues! :)

Almost have the floor completely framed. That is Hamer (pronounced Hammer...rescue border collie) our inspector making sure it is up to code. So far he hasn't given us a citation. Once the floor is finished out, we will start to finally go vertical. This floor will have a 3/4" OSB sheet on top of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom