pallet coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SheilaM, May 23, 2011.

1. SheilaM

SheilaM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    I am not handy at all and I was wondering if I could use pallets for framework and put T1-11 on the outside for a coop for my silkies?
    Sheila

2. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    lots of people use pallets, we just brought home a truck load of pallets and scrap wood to frame out our coop this week *egg-cited* then we are going to go round the outside with metal sheets, give lots of vents/windows, ease of access and external nest boxes [​IMG]

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    A friend of mine made coops, hay racks, and hutches out of pallets. They have to be in cood condition (not rotting) but it is definitely a good idea.
    Google it ! Youll come across lots of pics !

4. ruger22mama

ruger22mama Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    We used pallets for part of our coop (subfloor) and honestly, the hardest part was dissecting the pallets for the wood. Have fun putting it together!

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:Hi thats what my hubby did for my coop I love it here is a few pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SheilaM

Sep 6, 2008
    Thanks Cacklin Hen that is just what I meant.to use the pallets for the studs and cover them!! I"m not strong enough to tear them apart.
    Sheila

7. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    If you need help just ask... It was really easy well i did have hubbys help but just ask away i have lots more pic also [​IMG]

8. SheilaM

Sep 6, 2008
    how did you fasten the pallets together and I'd love more pictures:D

9. salvationfarms

salvationfarms Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    New Albany, MS
    Quote:Hi thats what my hubby did for my coop I love it here is a few pics
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28795_pallet_chick_coop_002.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28795_pallet_chick_coop_009.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28795_pallet_chick_coop_001.jpg

this is a really a nice looking coop do you have pics of the finished product ? and the interior would love to see it . trying to get some ideas. what did your husband use to keep the pallets standing?

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It is very nice looking!

Don't forget to consider predator-proofing around the edge if you are leaving a dirt floor (for example, burying or aproning out hardware cloth) to keep diggers out. Also rodents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by