1. Chickenjoe123

Chickenjoe123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Anyone have experience making a chicken coop out of pallets? I've seen a few on here made for free and they seem fairly simple and fun, but they do say the hardest part is removing the wood from the pallets without breaking them. What is the best way to do this? Also how long should it take to build one all by myself?

2. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I have madee 5 coops from pallets- little bigger than a tractor but smaller than a full blown coop- the largest is 4'x9'. I found the best way to get your raw materials is to take a sawzall and cut the cross spalls off the runners. That way you do not break the spalls and the nail heads do not cause any issues. I used the runners from 8' pallets for my frame rails and uprights, then I used the spalls to side the hen houses, make nesting boxes which I mounted outboard of the hen houses, and the fronts are my runs that I can postion up against my big open run when needed.

3. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    I need a sawzall!!

4. Chickenjoe123

Chickenjoe123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    whats a sawzall

5. jteam

jteam Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    "sawzall" is a trade name for Milwalkee tools and commonly used to refer to a reciprocating saw.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Hi,

You can check out the photos on my page on our pallet coop build.. Best method is sawzall, i just cut the nails between the boards.. second best method was to put a cinder block or stump - log under the top boards and drop something heavy or have some one jump on the runners this pops the head enough to pry them off, but you will still break some. I used the 40x48 pallets stood on end two high to make the walls and filled the gaps with ripped boards.

If you have any questions let me know.

Good Luck

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hinkel-haus-made-of-pallets-recycled-wood-pickets

8. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I've got my OH's brother building me one of these:

There's a site somewhere where he describes how he built it. I know there are other tools similar to this out there. I remember seeing a video where a plumber was advertising this great new tool he'd 'invented' called a "floorboard lifter and demolition bar". It was identical to this guy's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by