1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pallet Inspired Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jhyslop, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jhyslop

jhyslop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Southeast Missouri
    After reading many articles on reusing pallets we started in on the work! It started in the new coop on the walls then we started work on the nest boxes. We have since made a calf pen and started covering our barn walls with them! We aren't finished but here is what we have so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jhyslop

Feb 16, 2013
    Southeast Missouri
    More pics to come! We have built a lot of things in our barn including feeder, bottle holder for calves and the list will go on and on. The only thing we have paid for is the screws!!!! I am in heaven with the things you can do with free materials!

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    What a nice job you have done with these pallets. At first I was going to build our coop with pallet wood as well, but I just don't have the time to dismantle all the pallets I need before my chicks will need a coop. I do plan on building a green hosue this summer, and since I am a school bus driver, I will have the whole summer off and time to build it out of pallet wood.

4. jhyslop

Feb 16, 2013
    Southeast Missouri
    Well thank you! It doesn't really take as much time as you would think. Good luck this summer!

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Please do post lots more pics. It looks fab! I'm planning on building (planning is easy) lots of things with pallets once I get the pallet splitter my BIL is making me.

6. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    where do you get all of the pallets? Please do post more pics!!

7. jhyslop

Feb 16, 2013
    Southeast Missouri
    There is a local factory that gives them away! Some are more useful than others but they are free!!! We even got some 2x4 pallets 8ft long! I will never buy lumber again after this adventure! Here is a pic of the calf bottle holder and feeder![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jhyslop

Feb 16, 2013
    Southeast Missouri
    As you can tell our old walls were not very pretty but they are getting there!

9. jhyslop

Feb 16, 2013
    Southeast Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well our Orpingtons love the community box!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  10. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

That is incredible!! Which local factory is it? I'm near Noranda.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by