1. chickletteSarge

chickletteSarge Songster

May 12, 2012
    houston, tx
    I'm building my girls a tractor/brooder (a broctor) for their broilers (incomming). I am using 2 pallets that measure 4x5ft I plan on having it 2.5-3ft tall. Would I be able to raise chicks in this first broctor and then trans the over stock to a new tractor when they out grow? Or will the first be enough since they will only be in there for a short time before they are harvested?
    I am also making plans for a tall coop for our longtailed fowl. That coops measurements are 4dX8hX5w there will be a pair of yokohamas in one pen and a pair of sumatras in a seperate ajoining pen. In my mind that's enough room but I'm doubting that. Would I need to make them longer or wider? I was thinking about making it "L" shaped and angling the screening down to give a bit more flight room.
    Please critique my plans as I am building my vrey first coop! All my previous flocks have used a shed or gutted garage as their coop. Gramps never had an empty house! Henhouse that is.

Forgot to state the # of broilers to be housed in the tractor is 10.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm having trouble picturing how the two pallets would be oriented to form a "broctor". If you had four and were doing them in a square, that would be plenty of room for 10 broilers but I can't picture how the two will enclose them...

3. chickletteSarge

chickletteSarge Songster

May 12, 2012
    houston, tx
    I demo'd the pallets leaving a frame for the top and bottom. The 2x4s taken from the process are 5' in length. I was going to cut those down to 2.5' to get my 4 posts to finish framing the tractor. There will be hardwire 1/2" mesh surounding the facing I wanted to use the planks (1x6) to make a back wall and to cover the top. 1 pallet I'm guessing weighed over 80+#! So I figured it would make an exelent lid to keep nosey pets out.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Well I'll be interested to see if when you are done. Don't forget to take progress pics and post them here!

5. chickletteSarge

chickletteSarge Songster

May 12, 2012
    houston, tx
    I will, I should have it finished by next weekend. Ill post pics of before and after build.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: