1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pallets for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by davedavey, Dec 19, 2015.

1. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    Went to a local bargain store got some pallets covered in plywood. They were used to deliver irrigation pumps. So no chemicals. I tured the plywood in and did 3 sides top and bottom. Used plywood on the last side to build the entrance door. Made 3 . 4x 8 side and one 4x4 frame. Put wire on the frames. Screwed them together, cut an entrance hole in the side of coop. Put the frame against it and now I have my setup. I have eight 3 month old Buff Orpingtons, and they like there home.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Sounds cool! Can you post a pic?

3. paintedChix

paintedChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    NC
    Can't wait to see pictures! I can't quite "see" it in my head, sorry!

I have used pallets to make the base of our pony storage sheds and used cattle panel to arch a roof over them -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our pallet feed rooms that we have now will become permanent when they are leveled & bolted together - right now the boys feed room isn't level and they have been tied into place with haystring. Working on making a roof of 2 ltr plastic bottles, instead of the tarps, now - also using haystring. Will be posting how that works in our own thread when it's complete.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Keep in mind that some pallet wood is treated with chemicals against rot and pests.
    Labeling/branding info can be found with some googling research.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by