Pallets in chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Acresofchickens, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Acresofchickens

Acresofchickens TripleC

Nov 4, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a really muddy chicken coop and I am trying to figure out what I should use to keep them out of the mud. I was thinking about using pallets to put on the floor of it, but would they break their legs if fell in a crack? Or would they be able to just hop on out? Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How big is your chicken coop? Do you have a covered or uncovered run? Is it possible for you to get sand bedding for your run? That will eliminate any and ALL mud. I would not suggest that pallet. Flockwatcher is right.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    We didn't put pallets over the entire run but put one down and covered it with plywood to keep the birds from falling in the gaps. It just gives them a space to get off the ground. They still seem to enjoy splashing in the mud if it isn't too cold.[​IMG]Crazy birds!

5. Acresofchickens

Acresofchickens TripleC

Nov 4, 2010
    My coop is quite large, an 8x8. I do have it covered but it is not on high ground which makes all of the water run down into it.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

If you could get some sand in there that would be great. I use sand bedding and I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by