pallets

Hollywood Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Florida
I am going to have 3-4 pallet available soon, and I was thinking to build a brooder.

I have never built something before (but I have put together prefab things so I can use tools), and I don't have a lot of storage space so I was thinking to do hinges on the sides to that it can fold.

I never brood more than 15-20 chicks at a time so it doesn't need to be huge, any ideas? or pictures of yours?

Thank you!

I would suggest that you build a coop instead.

My chicks grew so fast that I had to scramble for larger accommodation every week! By 6-week-old, they wanted to explore and jump out of the brooder. I had to put them into a coop. They started to free range by 8th week.

To brood the chicks, I found cardboard boxes to be readily available, easily modified to suit, strong enough, and simply recycled when done. I went through 3 boxes as they out grew them in such pace.

Quote:
I guess my chicks are messier! I ended up changing the boxes every 2-3 days and it was always a soggy mess!

I have a big girl coop, but I don't like to put them out until they are closer to 12 weeks old.

I have been reading that thread, thanks.

One possible problem with using pallets. You probably don't know what they were used for, and they might have been contaminated with something that is not good for chickens or other living things. They might be OK if well covered.

Ed

Quote:
We are redoing the driveway with concrete pavers and topsoil (for in-between the pavers) so I will have 3-4 pallets of stuff being delivered and after the driveway is done I will have nice new pallets.
smile.png

I plan to paint them anyway for easier clean up.

Back
Top Bottom