1. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    I am wanting to build a copp for our chickens and ducks....I am looking to do it pretty cheap since I am not working and a student so I was thinking pallets would be an awesome place to start. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get free pallets?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Welcome to BYC! :)

Great idea using pallets. Some of the places that we get our pallets and recycled wood/lumber from are glass companies, farm implement stores, car dealerships, furniture stores and construction sights (home, new business, schools, etc.). I also check Craigslist every day. In my area, businesses are always giving away free pallets. You may also want to post on Craigslist or your local freecycle group any item that you are looking for, including pallets.

I use pallets as well. Please check out my BYC and you can see some of the things that we built using pallets.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kuntrygirls-page

3. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    You. Are. Amazing.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Well, I wouldn't say amazing but thanks. I'm just a cheap kuntrygirl who doesn't like to spend money, so I find creative ways to recycle. ;)

Would love to see the progress of your coop. Please post your progress pics as you build. :thumbsup

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

5. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    I totally will. I am the same as you. I like to recycle things before I buy new I post projects I do on my blog. Its been a slow start but I am doing more and more. Now I just have to start the journey of finding pallets to use before my girls get big! Your coops and other structures are freaking awesome! So jealous!!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. Kurrudii

Kurrudii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info on where to get free pallets!
    I'm in need of some more as well :D

I'm a full time student too!

The only suggestion I have to keep things done cheaply is that anything can become a nesting box.
    I have a milk crate, and 2 plastic storage boxes as nesting places for my hens.
    5 gal buckets work as well.

As well as
    Ramps/perches can be made out of tree branches.
    A lot of the construction process can be made out of branches collected from pruning trees around the yard.
    (I have huge palo verdes that need constant trimming)

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Can you post a link to your blog, so that we can follow?

Thanks!!!!

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Great tips. My most recent find that was turned into a nesting box was...................................................................................................

[​IMG]

I posted an ad on Craigslist and got a tons of responses. Now, I have a co-worker that brings me about 4 litter boxes every month. I love to recycle. There is a waiting line at this nesting box station. The girls love it! :)

9. clbarley

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
  10. Kurrudii

Kurrudii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh my gosh, I have some of those kitty litter tubs lying around. I might have to make one of those. :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by