Palruf and predators

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jdc, May 28, 2010.

1. jdc

jdc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Just a warning for those using or considering the palruf plastic roofing panels.

We have/had 25 5 week old freedom rangers

We had something attack our tractor last night. It tried to dig under but couldnt and then decided to chew on and then pry open the palruf panels where they were sleeping. It ended up killing 2 and wounding 6 leaving all of them where they were. It was strong enough to pull the roofing through the bolts holding it to the tractor and fold a corner big enough to gain entry. I am guessing it was a dog as the carcasses were not eaten and they were left behind.

2. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    Sounds like a raccoon did that. When we used tractors (years ago) we put 1"x2" welded wire under the fiberglass corrugated roofing because raccoons would chew the edges of roofs on the outbuildings to get into the attics to nest and we figured they would do it for a meal, also. By using the wire under the roofing gave some extra security. On the sides we used the same welded wire covered with 1/8" thick black corrugated plastic panels. This made the tractor lighter and easier to move. Like others have, we used the drop down 2' wide hex chicken wire and large stones on the outer edges to prevent lifting by predators.

It is so frustrating to loose animals to predation. Hopefully this is the first and last time you have this problem.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I built my 8x8 tractor yesterday evening and put hardware cloth under the panels, just in case that happened. Sorry about your losses.

4. jdc

jdc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Just got back from the grocery store and the neighbors were on the front porch. Their pug beagle mix came home this morning with feathers in her mouth. We will definately be reinforcing under the panels. THey are paying for the birds that were hurt. I am glad that they had the decency to own up.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sounds like responsible neighbors.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'm sorry about your birds, but it is soooo nice to hear about neighbors that are willing to take responsibility for their dogs. Uhuh and dogfish have it right, put hardware cloth under the panels when you fix it. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by