Palruf installed, but sagging a little?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have 2 of the little palruf braces, you know the wavy wood things? They are not working well... Mom said put it in the middle and end, since that's where any ice would build up? I didn't agree, but it's already nailed in. My thing is will the sagging cause a big problem. We get rain, rarely ice, but rarely ice can really mess you up [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh, how'd that last one get there... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    You don't have to use the wavy wood things, just use a regular piece of wood across the center and screw the roof to it about every other wave when it hit's the bottom. That's what we did and we've never had any leaking . Looks nice so far! [​IMG]

Nancy

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    (edited out suggestion about resizing photos)

So I am not sure exactly how all you have your roofing put on, but from what the second photo shows, you need to take it off and redo it, sorry.

I would suggest going to the company's website and downloading their brochure about installation, if you did not pick one up at the store where you bought the palruf panel. It will show pictures of the support structure you need under the palruf. I believe the page you want is probably www.palramamericas.com/docs/upload/Palruf_Installation_Guide.pdf but I have not actually checked (dialup [​IMG])

But basically, you need to have pieces of 2x3 or whatever going CROSSWISE, not lengthwise, to the panels. From what I can see in that photo I would suggest three - one across the top, one across the middle, and one across the bottom. Remember they need to go ACROSS the ribs, not lengthwise - so they will line up along the long (not short) axis of your tractor, you know? THen put a wavy filler strip on EVERY one of those to screw through - that supports the palruf when you screw down through the rib so it does not just squush flat or crack. Screw down through the RIBS, not the valleys, to avoid leaks.

You will have to arrange your crosswise 2x3s (or whatever you use for the purlins) so that they lie where the holes already are that you made in your panels, as there is no good long-term way of plugging up holes (a good caulk will help, but best not to have to rely on it). Remove your screws CAREFULLY wehn you take the panels off and you should be able to reuse the panels once you correct the supporting structure.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    They are shrunk to forum size. I have dial up and it took 2-3 minutes for the first 3 to load...

5. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    Nice dog.

6. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Wow! People still use dial up? [​IMG]

7. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Guess maybe my dialup is slower than some folks'. Domino7, remember not everyone has a *choice*.

Look, I'll go back and edit out the resizing suggestion if it bugs you, ok?

I was just trying to help with your structural problem that you asked for assistance with.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:I understand where you're coming from.
    Our dialup speed used to be 2k. The server would drop us all the time, because it figured there was no activity. No cell service here either. Pictures were impossible. Satellite isn't perfect, but, it's our only choice, if we want to be online.

9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Okay, deepest appology. I didn't mean to come across as rude. I thought making them that size would make it easier. I know dial up is frustrating, some sites I just give up on. It's better than not having it at all though. [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    No offense taken, fellow dialup user [​IMG]

Anyhow, just pull the roofing and put *crosswise* purlins in (with the profile strips atop them, unless you want to play leak roulette and screw into the valleys), and Bob's yer uncle [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by