Pancakes for breakfast?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggsForIHOP, May 15, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    So, we have toyed with the idea of a 'waste bucket' at work - work for me is IHOP - and the waste bucket would be a way of showingthe servers how much food they are throwing away, the majority of which would be excess pancakes. You would never believe how many pancakes turn into frisbees and get thrown away there in a day! My question is this...could I feed them like a treat to the chickens? Oh, let's say for instance chickens that are 6 - 7 weeks old? Not as their entire diet - but just to have as a treat? No butter, no syrup, just the stuff that gets cooked and tossed? The city folk at work have been trying to get me to take some home for the chicks...just didn't know if it was okay...any thoughts on pancakes for breakfast?

ETA: Pancakes are NOT on the treats chart...I checked:)

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Most pancakes are bread, and in moderation it is fine.. I feed my chicks bread every now and then as a treat and always have. But if it's fed too often, it can cause them to become obese due to all of the sugars and such in it and that will hurt their laying in older fowl as well as overheat them due to being over weight like it will a person. Same thing as corn/scratch pretty much.

-Daniel

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

You could bring home those 'cakes & freeze them in some Ziplock bags, for portion control Then in times of a food or treats shortage, you might add some cooked eggs to a pancake and offer that to your flock. Or simply toss the extra's out for the wild birds in your yard during the winter.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  4. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I absolutely would feed them to my flock. I work as a caterer, and my chickens get all the leftovers.

5. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    my flock loves, LOVES, LOVES, pancakes when they have berries in them. Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries

It is my opinion that a varied and balanced diet of scraps works best. Too much of anything is probably not that good for them.

I have a feeling that Blueberry pancakes will turn into chicken crack around your house!

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Mine love waffles or pancakes. I would certainly bring them home for them. If you think its to much to feed at once just bag and freeze in portions. I do this when i have an over abundance of anything. That way when there are no scraps I have something for a morning treat. My MIL cleans out her freezer/fridge every so often and brings me bags of food. I go through it and freeze it in portions. Works great.

7. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Brought home the p-cakes today - just grabbed a couple out of the bucket - and YES they are SO like crack for chickens! i just tossed 2 in there and they went nuts! When they were finished my one all white EE (I think EE) stood on top of the waterer and watched me for an hour as I moved around - I think waiting for more cakes! I shall for sure make this a frequent treat!

As for saving them - no need! Actually, anyone in the Houston area could pm me and I could probably supply them with enough pancakes in one weekend to last a lifetime! When you work for IHOP, there is NEVER a pancakes shortage!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by