1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pancreatitis and dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by piecemaker, Jan 21, 2011.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    [​IMG]

This is my little Georgie. For the last few days he has just been off alittle. When I got home from work this moring he had thrown up all over my sewing room (like 6 or 7 times). Bright yellow foamy like vomit (vet said that is liver bile). So being it was Friday I decieded he should see the vet today instead of waiting to see how he did over the weekend. Boy am I glad I did, he has Pancreatitis. It is very dangeruose (sp). After test he got 4 shots and some liquid meds. And was sent home with 3 meds!! Vet said she was leaving at noon and would not be back until Tuesday and that he could of died by then!!!!

Moral to this is trust your gut feeling if some thing is just not right check it out

piecemaker

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Oh he is so adorable. Sure hope he is better soon. And you are right, Pancreatitis is nothing to fool around with.

3. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    Georgie is a very lucky little boy to have such a vigilant owner. [​IMG]

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Don't know if your vet mentioned it or not~~but your baby should not have any PORK products; pork will certainly trigger pancreatitis in dogs

5. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:Georgie LOVES friut and vegs bananas are his fav The vet said NO people food if I was going to feed him banana I had to feed it to him every day he could not have changes in his diet. Ask if TOTW was good and she said yes.
    He acts like is is feeling better already all the pain meds though

piecemaker

6. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    hi give georgie a hug from me![​IMG]

7. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:Hi is that Harley in your picture? DH has not let georgie down from his lap for long he is keeping a VERY close eye on him. I thought I saw Paul when I was coming back From Denise's office. Oh Kye is suppose to be back from Idaho last week. Need to get her out to take care of the boys
    piecemaker

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What a cutie! My dog has vomited that bright yellow vomit before...
    I never knew it was liver bile!! Gah!! Looks like i was LUCKY! [​IMG]

I hope he recovers fully.. [​IMG]

9. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Please, IF You have to, take him to another vet if yours isn't available. IF anything starts to go wrong.

We lost our beloved sharpei/hound mix 3+ yrs ago due to Pancreatitis, it broke our hearts!
    We did get a sharpei/lab mix, when the time was right, but always miss our Sasha girl.

SO glad you took Georgie!!

Carol

PS> My hubby had a bout of that too last year.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:And if you have cats make sure your little guy does not eat any it can cause pancreatitis also.

Glad ya got him to the vet in time, he's a beauty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by