Panda Type Quail

RainForestBird

Songster
Jul 12, 2016
I have yellow or white quail with large streaks of the brown coloring commonly found with the brown quail. Does this mean that these quail are a cross between the two types of quail? I see that people are selling them as a rare variety now on Ebay. They call them Panda quail. I put a group of them together in the same enclosure to see if their babies would have the same coloring. The seem larger and hardier than the other quail.

Pandas are A&M to Pharaoh crosses, it takes a couple of generations to get a good pattern. I have few in the brooder and a dozen in the aviary.

Here is my best girl.

Pandas are A&M to Pharaoh crosses, it takes a couple of generations to get a good pattern. I have few in the brooder and a dozen in the aviary. Here is my best girl.
This is sooo cool. I haven't heard of this before. Are the pandas white or dark meat? A&M=white and all others are dark right?

This is sooo cool. I haven't heard of this before. Are the pandas white or dark meat? A&M=white and all others are dark right?

I talked to Robby of JMF who owns a copy of the A&M research obtained through an associate who was part of the experiment. The original Texas A&M program included (in part) a goal of creating a white meat bird. They were never successful on that particular point.

For some reason that trait has been claimed by many and the rumor passed down, believed etc... I have culled A&M, Pharaoh and golden and passed the bowl of carcasses around and nobody could tell the difference in the color of the flesh.

Oh, I would love to get some of these! Do any of you all sell eggs for hatching or know where I could find them? They're so cute!

It's been raining here pretty much. I have the quail in a coop with a run and they've been laying in the run. The ground is wet so I'm not comfortable selling or trading eggs. After it dries up I'll let you guys know and if you want to trade eggs I'm up for that. In the meantime if eHuman has some he might want to sell/trade. What kind of quail do you guys have?

Back
Top Bottom