1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PANIC - HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by popsie, Apr 20, 2008.

1. popsie

popsie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    My chick is just hatching - a circle of about 1cm of shell has come away from the egg all the way round - the only thing holding it together is white membrane - this has small slits in it an the little chick keeps pushing and they open but dont get any bigger - should I help - i still have 2 others pipping in the bator - please quick reply

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Let the chick do the work. It could be up to 12 hours to get completely free of the shell. Keep the incubator closed so you don't dry the membrane and cause a problem.

It may still be absorbing the last of the yolk sac and breaking it out now could cause an unwanted trauma.

3. popsie

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    panic over - he's out - just gave a few big pushes and broke it open - guess I need to relax a little lol anyways this is 5 - another blue

4. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Its common for people to want to help. You and 5000 other people on this board would have been thinking and feeling the same way.

5. popsie

Apr 15, 2008
    Doncaster, England
    It's good to have people who know on hand - thanx so much

6. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Ask away anytime. That is what this board is all about. 1/3 support group, 1/3 information, 1/3 enabler.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by