Panic - how do I get the marker off the chicks heads??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenNewbie, May 5, 2009.

1. HenNewbie

HenNewbie Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    I am trying to handle my chicks frequently and checking for pasty bum. But it is challenging - all 4 look the same. I read about marking the chicks on the top of their heads to differentiate the four babes. So I tried it on 2. The chicks immediately started pecking on the heads of those marked. I did not use red. I feel so stupid. Of course I tried to wash it off, no go. I then used a gentle eye make-up remover on a Q-tip and then washed with a clean wet pad and dried with a clean cloth. I pray I have not damaged these little chicks. Anything else I should do to correct this situation?

2. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    put them under a red light, this will make everything they see in red and they won't bother it.

Good luck and hey we all do goofy things from time to time don't beat yourself up. The best way to identify would be leg bands, just make sure they have room for their legs to grow and take them off before they get to old.

Julie

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    What kind of marker did you use?

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    got baby wipes?

5. HenNewbie

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    It was a colored crafters marker by a US scrapbooking company. They are under the red light.

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Be carefull you dont want to hurt them trying to get it off

7. HenNewbie

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    Thank you. Yes I do have baby wipes. The marks appear to be gone and their little heads are now dry and everyone is resting. Thanks again.

8. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    can you cut the fluff off? or is the skin marked too??? maybe cover it with black marker.... dunno

9. HenNewbie

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    Quote:Thank you. I tried to be extremely gentle using the q-tip and then gently rinsing with the wet cotton pad and then petting dry with clean cotton pad. Thank you, again.

10. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think next time you may want to use something like crayola. The red is the only one I've found that stains badly and I wouldn't use it anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by