Panic...my broody hen, hatched her first egg..now ingnores the eggs!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilbitChicken, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Well. I have a feeling this is too late.....
    My broody hen hatched her first egg 3 days ago.....but then as of yesterday....had pushed all the other (7)eggs away....and is just taking care of her one chick!!!!
    WHAT do I do with the other eggs????
    I assume they have all died over the last 24 hrs..........right?????
    [​IMG]

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Unfortunately it is probably is too late, I would think, but maybe not. Momma hen probably knows that they weren't going to hatch, they have a way of knowing these things. Can you candle them and see if there is any movement or if they even developed. I am sorry and congrats on your chick!

3. LilbitChicken

May 5, 2009
    momma's chickens :

Unfortunately it is probably is too late, I would think, but maybe not. Momma hen probably knows that they weren't going to hatch, they have a way of knowing these things. Can you candle them and see if there is any movement or if they even developed. I am sorry and congrats on your chick!

They were all added one at a time to her nest.....(so the ages were a day or more abpart from each other) SOOO.....candling, some appear fully formed....but no movement, and the eggs are cold)

I am sooo upset.[​IMG]

4. LilbitChicken

May 5, 2009
    ...another thing...I don't have a incubator.....just the eggs.....

is there something I could have done to save them??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by