Panic stations please help.

MadJohnChick

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
Hi all.
I have been researching hatching chicks on here for a while taking advantage of the google response when I typed in a question. I decided to take the plunge and hatch my own in an incubator. A friend recently gave up keeping chickens as they were moving away and kindly gave me his Octagon 20 incubator. All great so far.......
However I am now in day 5 after setting 12 (postal) purchased eggs. The incubator was all working fine and holding a steady temperature until today and of course it is a Sunday!!! The fan in the incubator packed up about 5 hours ago. I have ordered a replacement fan from Brinsea but now the temp is fluctuating between 36.0 degrees C to 38 degrees C. I have placed another thermometer in the bottom near the eggs and that is reading 34 degrees. I do not have a third thermometer to check (Sunday as well). What is the best thing for me to do over the next 24hrs ??? Leave it? Turn up the temp to match the bottom thermometer or move the incubator into the front room where it is warmer rather than it being in the utility room. This could be longer depending how quick the replacement fan arrives and if the temp fluctuations aren’t part of a bigger problem with the incubator. A side note is I decided to candle the eggs to know if this was all worth the panic and 9 of the 12 have an embryo. Please help. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
I'd move the incubator VERY CAREFULLY into the most stable room of your house.
Fans are not required, I hatch perfectly fine with no fan in my bator.
Walmart sells thermometers.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops
There are a couple of articles below in my signature that are worth the short read.
BYC has an APP

My turning cradle turns them through 90 degrees however while this is going on should I also hand turn them to increase the even heat distribution in the egg or will opening the incubator more often do more harm than good?

I'd move the incubator VERY CAREFULLY into the most stable room of your house.
Fans are not required, I hatch perfectly fine with no fan in my bator.
Walmart sells thermometers.
:goodpost: agree sign.gif
The temp fluctuations you mention are not necessarily critical from what I have read.
:thumbsup
I have been researching hatching chicks on here for a while taking advantage of the google response when I typed in a question. I decided to take the plunge and hatch my own in an incubator.
I don't use fans or egg turners in my styro-ovens.
But I rotate and change orientation upon hand turning.

Back
Top Bottom