Panic Time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jimmy, May 6, 2008.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I ordered chicks from a hatchery,they hatched yesterday(Monday)..the post office just called and said they will be at my house this morning...they will only be one day old(instead of the two I was expecting)...should I give them food and water right away? I remember reading something that they need time after hatching before they ingest anything, but I can't find that article...please advise !!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have always started my 1 day old chicks on starter feed and water as soon as I get them. I have read something that you should give them water at 1 day old and then start them on the starter feed at 2 days old. I personally have never had a problem with feeding the starter at 1 day old. Maybe somebody else will speak up and correct me if need be.

The P.O. isn't delivering the chicks to your house on the regular mail truck are they? You are going to go and pick them up, right???

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    If they are truly just a day old the yolk sack is going to supply them with what they need for the first 3 days of life. However, you can put some food and water in there, just make sure the water is in a place they can't drown in it.
    Was the date they hatched just the expected date or did you know they hatched yesterday?
    No need to worry. They will be fine. Heat is more important. Have you tested your brooder? Making sure the temps are where they need to be and steady? They have an area to move to if they get too warm. No drafts?

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    No food for 72 hours.

After that, scatter just a bit of chick starter, or fine oatmeal and hard boiled egg.

Gradually increase the food until they eat it ravenously and then switch to all starter. This shouldn't take more than 5 days or so.

Baby chicks are stressed enough by shipping, without having to cope with force feeding of soy based feed. Chilling in transit and the too-soon soy may lead to clogged picky vents. Yow! Let them come' round to it naturally.

Keep fresh water in front of them at all times, but be careful they can't drown in it. Some people put marbles or smooth stones in the water dish to keep the little sprats from getting in.
    I use a purpose designed waterer(and feeder). I recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatch my own and their feeder and waterer is filled when I move them to the brooder from the incubator, usually within 24 hours. They will eat and drink when they are ready to. I wouldn't withhold food or water.

6. Jimmy

Jimmy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I am picking them up in an hour..the brooded is all ready with a heat lamp adjusted for 95F 2" off the floor and room to get away from it if needed....I felt prepared until this "early" arrival thing came up. Thanks everyone for your quick responces ..although there seem to be conflicting opinions I will probably go with the "majority"...thanks again

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It sounds like you are ready! Go get those babies and enjoy them!

Oh! Don't forget to post pics after you get them settled in. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC, by the way!

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. BreakneckBrook

BreakneckBrook Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Foothills of Maine
    Enjoy those chicks!

9. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Sorry to barge in - but heat lamp is only 2 inches off the floor????

10. Jimmy

Jimmy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    No,I guess I was not very clear on that..the lamp is adjusted so that the temp is 95F 2" off the floor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by