1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I know what needs to be done, but it can't be done until this weekend. In the mean time, I need a quick fix and help.

Scenario:

I built my run to accommodate my 13 chickens. We have a 10 x 20 run and a 6 x 12 coop. A "friend" got chicks at the same time I did. I won't tell you all the details of how he had them... [​IMG] However, he went from 40+ chicks to 18 pullets. Why? because they were housed in a very very very small box (4x4, maybe). They were killing each other and/or suffocating so he brought them and dumped them in my coop because it was "huge and had tons of space!"

Now I have 30 pullets and one cockerel in my area (ages?all (mine and his both) were gotten the weekend before Easter at TSC, all fully feathered and starting to cluck) . My chick(ens) have already killed one of the new comers. Even though they are all about the same age, mine are nearly twice the size of the new comers. Two more were bloodied pretty badly tonight and I have put them in with my goats.

I have a plan to expand the coop. But it involves building a new goat pen first and me being off for the weekend. So we can't start the one until Saturday. Thus we can't do the second (expanded coop) until the first (goat pen) is completed.

Any help on how to manage this mess until I can remedy the coop is greatly appreciated. I really really do not want this many chickens. But since they are here, I need to make the best for them. Not to mention, I don't want MINE to end up being the ones to be "hen pecked."

The new area will add a 4 x6 space to the coop and a 10 x 10 space to the run. I am not even sure if that is enough added space for this many birds.

Please on comments on the "friend", don't give any. I came here for help and not friend bashing. I am not happy about the situation, but I need help with what I have got. Thanks for any and all advise with the above.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I hope the chicks do ok, thats a hard one to deal with. Are the smaller ones still pretty little that you could make a smaller area fenced in for them? too bad you didn't know someone who would take some of them, even if it is just till you get your place the way you need it. I know we have 2 chicken houses, 1 where we put different sizes of chicks/or whatever we have hatched, plus 2 smaller houses we built that are a little bigger than a good size dog house. Sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck, hopefully someone will have some words of advice to help you out.

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    If they're fully feathered out (this is the first thing that came to mind), perhaps you could keep half of them in the run, and half in the coop. The weekend is only in a day or two, so it wouldn't be for a long period of time. You'll need to enlarge your coop about twice what you initially thought, but your run add-on plans sound right on the money.

4. scrambledmess

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I had a small area set up for mine when they were only partially feathered and thus not able to fly very high. This area is maybe 8X6 and only 3" high. Even though the new comers are smaller then mine, they are still the same age. Thus they could easily get out of this area. I am almost tempted to turn them loose in my garage. I really don't want chicken poo on everything, but I KNOW that would get my hubby motivated to alter the coop and goat pen [​IMG]

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:You could section off a part of the garage, because catching them later on might be a pain... (From experience chasing a little BA lovingly called Dora the explorer around the kitchen for 2+ hours)

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Quote:Yep, your coop is now 72 sq ft and your addition will be 24 sq ft. That puts you at 96. That is the min for 24 birds. You will need a min of 120 sq ft for 30 birds.

Make the addition 6x8 and you have it.

7. scrambledmess

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    If they're fully feathered out (this is the first thing that came to mind), perhaps you could keep half of them in the run, and half in the coop. The weekend is only in a day or two, so it wouldn't be for a long period of time. You'll need to enlarge your coop about twice what you initially thought, but your run add-on plans sound right on the money.

I will think on this. I might end up doing this. It would be the easiest. We just don't have the ventalation right in the coop yet and it has been really hot in there. But I bought two extra fans today. I could hook up a cord and put a fan on the inside birds.... Hmm... am thinking on it.​

8. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Can you get a refrigerator box and put some in there with chicken wire over them for a couple of days? I'm just trying to think of ways to spread them out and yet keep them all secured until you can work this all out.

I'm also thinking of what you might be able to get for free...

You have a big heart and clearly are trying to do right by these birds. Good luck to you!

9. Lalaith

Lalaith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    If separating them isn't possible, you could build a "hide" for the smaller birds to go into and get away from the bullies. A heavy box with holes just big enough for the little ones but not big enough for the large birds would work. Put food and water in it for them and tuck it into a corner of the run. Good luck and good for you for looking after the birds.

Hopefully you will have a chance to speak to your friend about cruelty- intentional or otherwise. Sometimes people just don't know any better but that is no excuse for it.

Good luck!

10. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Quote:That's a good idea. I had mine (same age as yours) in a cardboard enclosure in the garage until last week. It doesn't have to be a single box either. I built mine by connecting several boxes together with duct tape. Then I cut out large holes in the top and set window screens over the holes with some scrap wood to hold them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by