Panicked...PLEASE HELP! GRAPHIC PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by applesweets, May 27, 2011.

1. applesweets

applesweets Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    This chick is very much alive, just exhausted after a 25 hr hatch from pip to exit of it's shell. I did not assist the hatch and there was no shrink wrapping going on. It has a yellow ball shaped thing sticking out of it's belly which is attatched to a blood membrane. I am assuming this is a slightly unabsorbed yolk sac. Am I right? Please tell me it's not organs! It is bright yellow(I know the coloring is hard to see in the pic). What should I do with this chick? Should I just leave it? Put it in the brooder with it's sibling? Will it finish absorbing on it's own? I am so scared for it!

[​IMG]

2. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    did you post under emergencies?

I would say keep the temp and humidity correct, and dont touch it. expert BYCers?

3. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    Here is one with better colouring, but he has flipped himself over, so the angle is not as good.

[​IMG]

4. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    Didn't know there was an er section. Thanks, I will try that.

5. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    NEvermind, he is dead! He stopped breathing and is completely limp now. He was alive 10 minutes ago!!! I just don't get it! Should I have helped him out? Did I leave him trying to hatch too long? Now I have to try and tell my daughter in the morning:( She is going to be crushed!

6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Sorry man [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe now you can do a "chicktopsy" and she what went wrong.Did you try cutting this fleshy thing?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  7. applesweets

May 20, 2011
    I would if I knew what to look for, but being that I am totally unknowledgeable and inexperienced to know what I would be looking at and what looked right or wrong, it would feel wrong and unnecessary.

8. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Watchin' somethin' like this, is never easy, I'm sorry to see that lil' one didn't make it...

9. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Quote:Well, for starters, you could see where the source of the blood was comin' from, & then from there wash the bird, to ascertain for certain, that it was THE source of blood...if you find that the chick had no cut anywhere on the body, then you can pretty much assume that it was internal issues. From there, you can dissect the bird, & check to see if all the organs are present, & whether or not there's any blood source on the inside of the chick. If no blood exisits, I'd be makin' incisions on the lungs to see if there were any issues there, & as well as examining the heart. Again, I'm sorry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by